Today we visited the beautiful Kintempo waterfall which is the central point of Ghana. Although the weather was slightly cooler today, Finnley and I still managed to have a dip in the pool at the bottom. He was not too keen on being in the water but loved looking at it and was adamant about climbing down and back up the 100+ steps to get to the pond at the bottom.
The children are very full on all the time – from the moment they wake until they go to bed. The older ones have chores to do during the day as they are not at school, such as cleaning and washing. Recently they have farmed hundreds of maize plants so we have all been busy taking the seeds (I think that is what they are called) by hand, in order for them to be dried and sold at the market.
One aspect that I am struggling with a little is that now it is my last week people seem to be asking me to find a way to “ask my town for help to pay for their children’s education”. People turn up at my door and ask for my number and email to which my response is blunt. I also feel slightly unappreciated at the orphanage, after spending six weeks out here they too are asking me not to forget them when I return to the UK in terms of fundraising. I am aware that the orphanage is in desperate need of sponsors however I think people feel that the streets of London are paved with gold, and maybe I have been a bit too ‘nice’ about how I will be able to continue to help them when I return. So I have told Francis fairly straight, that I will raise the initial £5,000 needed to found the Academy as an official UK charity, and he must raise an equal amount for the orphanage. This will allow them to buy land, build a huge academy and housing for the orphans, plus food, education, kits and balls. I will then take a back seat and organise a couple of events each year and to keep funding coming in. Hopefully he will understand that this dream is his and I will support him, but I cannot lead it – I have too many other commitments to work with.
This next week I want to enjoy the time I have left at the orphanage, we have run out of things like paper and pens so will have to come up with some imaginative games to play. Hopefully I can give the kids one last week of fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment