o Standing in the long green grass the hot afternoon sun warming my face, I am watching the children of LOVE KIDS FOOTBALL ACADEMY training and knowing that I have helped make this happen, I am genuinely happy. Then BAM out of no-where a shooting pain goes up my leg, screaming in agony I hit the floor, something had bitten me.
Realising I had no credit on my phone, no ability to get money as my card had been blocked by the bank as they thought it was fraud, a team of children around me that spoke very limited English and my two year old son whom was panicking profusely, I felt rather scared. I picked myself up, tied Finnley onto my back and ran to the orphanage where they assured me that if it was a snake somebody would have seen it; but would take me to hospital to make sure. So the entire family came with me, which I was grateful for and the bite ended up being from a poisonous ant, which my body should be able to fight the toxin so no medication was needed..
Aside from the excitement of revisiting the hospital, the past week has been slightly hectic. The football academy has had lots of interest from the youths of the town and training occurs at 6-830 in the mornings and 3.30-6 in the evenings. Along with attempting to get some sponsorship and second hand equipment I have also still been trying to pay as much attention as possible to the children at the orphanage. I feel like I have bonded with all of them, but in the last week I have spoken a lot to the eldest girl whom is 12. The whole orphanage speak highly of her, she is very hard working and was very shy to start with. I have helped her with her English and made jewellery with her whilst the others were sitting their school exams, and she really is a beautiful young lady.
Tomorrow is graduation and unfortunately due to other family commitments no one is able to go and see the children celebrate passing their school year and moving up to another. Therefore Finnley and I are going along to support them, it is at a hotel and Ebonenzer has been asked to do a speech to parents and carers. We have been practising it a lot today and it involves a poem called “whisper whisper whisper”. He told me today that all students HAVE to speak in English at school otherwise they will get beaten, all the children seem good at the language so it is obviously an effective way of learning.
I have spent some more time at Hand in Hand community too, where the children have mental difficulties, they all know us there now and welcome us with smiles and cheers which is just lovely. We purchased some beads from there and string from the market, so have been making necklaces and bracelets back at the orphanage. Some of the volunteers at Hand in Hand are coming to Love Kids Orphanage on Friday to meet the children .They will see the vast difference between the care home they are staying at which is modern and here, which due to lack of funding is very squashed and provides limited opportunities for the children.
Finnley is continuing to have an amazing time and has learnt the majority of the children’s names, how to dress himself, counting up to 30 and the alphabet since he has been here; which for a two year old I think is impressive. His speech has also developed by speaking to the children all the time, so other than having a fun time, he has a lot learnt a huge amount in his time in Ghana.
I am really enjoying Nkoranza and seeing that my efforts are now helping the children around me is wonderful. I only have three weeks remaining and have many things yet to see and do; hopefully another trip to the hospital will not be one of them.
Realising I had no credit on my phone, no ability to get money as my card had been blocked by the bank as they thought it was fraud, a team of children around me that spoke very limited English and my two year old son whom was panicking profusely, I felt rather scared. I picked myself up, tied Finnley onto my back and ran to the orphanage where they assured me that if it was a snake somebody would have seen it; but would take me to hospital to make sure. So the entire family came with me, which I was grateful for and the bite ended up being from a poisonous ant, which my body should be able to fight the toxin so no medication was needed..
Aside from the excitement of revisiting the hospital, the past week has been slightly hectic. The football academy has had lots of interest from the youths of the town and training occurs at 6-830 in the mornings and 3.30-6 in the evenings. Along with attempting to get some sponsorship and second hand equipment I have also still been trying to pay as much attention as possible to the children at the orphanage. I feel like I have bonded with all of them, but in the last week I have spoken a lot to the eldest girl whom is 12. The whole orphanage speak highly of her, she is very hard working and was very shy to start with. I have helped her with her English and made jewellery with her whilst the others were sitting their school exams, and she really is a beautiful young lady.
Tomorrow is graduation and unfortunately due to other family commitments no one is able to go and see the children celebrate passing their school year and moving up to another. Therefore Finnley and I are going along to support them, it is at a hotel and Ebonenzer has been asked to do a speech to parents and carers. We have been practising it a lot today and it involves a poem called “whisper whisper whisper”. He told me today that all students HAVE to speak in English at school otherwise they will get beaten, all the children seem good at the language so it is obviously an effective way of learning.
I have spent some more time at Hand in Hand community too, where the children have mental difficulties, they all know us there now and welcome us with smiles and cheers which is just lovely. We purchased some beads from there and string from the market, so have been making necklaces and bracelets back at the orphanage. Some of the volunteers at Hand in Hand are coming to Love Kids Orphanage on Friday to meet the children .They will see the vast difference between the care home they are staying at which is modern and here, which due to lack of funding is very squashed and provides limited opportunities for the children.
Finnley is continuing to have an amazing time and has learnt the majority of the children’s names, how to dress himself, counting up to 30 and the alphabet since he has been here; which for a two year old I think is impressive. His speech has also developed by speaking to the children all the time, so other than having a fun time, he has a lot learnt a huge amount in his time in Ghana.
I am really enjoying Nkoranza and seeing that my efforts are now helping the children around me is wonderful. I only have three weeks remaining and have many things yet to see and do; hopefully another trip to the hospital will not be one of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment